*article has been updated. Unfortunatly, the comments are lost in the process *
With the forthcoming release of OS X 10.2 aka Jaguar everyone with a ATI Rage 128 pro, or even worse, will not have the advantage of Quartz Extreme.
I bought an Asus GeForce2 MX 400 64 mb with tv-out. This card doesn’t need to be flashed. It works out of the box. But,.not with any OS X version above 10.1.2. In those versions your card will be limited to a resolution of 1024*768 and will perform very bad.
But have no fear! There is a simple solution for this!
WARNING: You’ll do all of this completly at your OWN RISK!
- Download Tomeviewer
- Download the apple nVidia drivers
- Use tome viewer to extract AENV MacFlash [1045-MRS] from the tome-file.
- Open up your applescript editor and enter the following:
tell application “AENV MacFlash [1045-MRS]”
if (CompareROMVersion) = true then
- press the check syntax button ( you never know) ,
- Now save the script in the same place as where you have saved the extracted rom (AENV MacFlash [1045-MRS] )
- Run the freshly created apple script.
- reboot to X
- Enjoy your GeForce powered System.
If everything went well System Profiler will tell you the following:
Card name: NVD A, NVMac
Card model: GeForce2 MX
Card ROM#: 1045F
I did all this in a cube 450 with firmware 4.19f1.
I didn’t test the s-video and the tv-out plugs.
But the card works perfectly!